Pre-Requisite: Being Brave Together: A Transfaith Primer (free) frames dialogue expectations for all OtherWise Academy discussion forums.
Being Brave Together is strongly recommended as a way to understand our dialogue expectations. However, you can begin the OtherWise 101 series without that 10 minute experience, if you are too eager to wait.
Certificate Program: Transfaith for Allies (free).
- The Transfaith for Allies introductory course is also a good place to start your journey through the Transfaith for Allies certificate program and provides a different kind of starting point.
Designed for: English-speaking adults, regardless of religious affiliation or professional aspirations.
- The content may also be appropriate for younger audiences who are prepared for references to sexuality and body parts in an educational context.
Hours of Video: approximately 1.5 hours of video total, with transcripts provided
OtherWise Voices: Mx Chris Paige, Pidgeon Pagonis, Sean Saifa Wall, Emily Quinn, Alice Alvarez, Morgan Carpenter, Lianne Simon, CJ Duron, Carrie Davis, Nico Baretta, Laverne Cox, Sand Chang, Ray Carannante, Saffron Kershaw-Mee, James Hughes, Rosamund Liebeskind, Nadia Vogel, Saskia Reed, Alok Vaid-Menon, Liam Hooper
Status: Open Access
- Understand the difference between intersex and transgender
- Recognize the unique needs of gender creative and gender expansive children
- Recognize the unique needs of transgender adolescents
- Identify 3 basic categories of transgender experience
- Understand nonbinary gender as a diverse range of experiences
Description: This course includes our best recommendations for quickly learning the basics about transgender, intersex, non-binary, gender creative / expansive. This is an accessible survey of key terms and concepts around gender diversity in the Western world, drawing from some of the best video materials available on the internet (with transcripts provided).
The material here is curated to take you step by step through an introductory experience. Each "section" includes approximately 20 minutes of video around a particular theme with captions and/or transcript available. You move through the content at your own pace. Meanwhile, checkpoints between "lessons" provide an opportunity to review and reflect on what you have been learning.
While there are short references to specific religio-cultural contexts, this course is designed for everyone regardless of religious background or professional aspirations.
You will find introductory videos from groups like InterAct Advocates for Intersex Youth, the Interface Project, Intersex Human Rights Australia (formerly OII Australia), The Advocate, the Human Rights Campaign, Seattle Children's Hospital, University of California at San Francisco, The New York LGBT Center, the Union for Reform Judaism, and the Reconciling Ministries Network.
What People Are Saying...
Audio, video, and transcripts! There is something here for everyone.
I really appreciate the diversity
of voices and sources